Friday, January 05, 2007

Well, it sure has been a week -- the guys at home, Ron back to work, and me, praying that Christmas vacation would end soon, without me killing someone. I worked out at the gym a LOT this week since I have two hours of babysitting there per day. They have a great time in the babysitting room -- they do crafts and stuff like painting that they NEVER get to do at home!

Yesterday, I took the guys to the Desert Museum. We got to see all kinds of snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc., in addition to several kinds of mammals. We did see a really cool demonstration of raptor skills with four Harris hawks. They are gorgeous and they came swooping down within a foot or two of our heads. It was amazing. The docent demonstrated how they land, communicate, eat, and then they spotted something and we got to see them go after an animal on the ground! It was so exciting! I wouldn't mind going back to the Desert Museum by myself so that I could really take a look around without worrying about James wandering off into the desert.

Ron left this morning to go to Maryland for Mrs. Gayer's memorial service. He will return on Monday night. It could be a tough weekend, but this morning, it almost got unbelievable. I thought I had left the car keys in Ron's car. I had a total meltdown since all I could think of was that my car keys were in Ron's car, in the airport parking lot and I would be TRAPPED in the house for the next FOUR solid days. I lost it completely. Then Andy found the keys. Andy is a wonderful, wonderful guy. I was able to leave the house!! I went to the local grocery store for some stuff and dumped the guys in the babysitting area --- yes, you read that right. The local grocery store provides 1 and a half hours of babysitting FREE while you shop. And James is finally old enough to go in there!! WHooooohooooo! I only took an hour to do my shopping, too, which I think showed great restraint. We came home and I got a pot roast started in the slow cooker for tonight, and a brisket in the oven (braised in beer and onions) for Sunday. Then the babysitter arrived and I headed out for my long ride of the week.

It was one heck of a ride. It was COLD. And WINDY. And RAINY. We did 20 miles. Going out was alright as the wind was with us and it was just a few raindrops here and there. Then more rain started coming down and we decided to turn around since the road was getting a little slick. We turned around and headed straight into the wind and the pointy rain all the way back to the cars. Strangely, I left my riding partner behind several times. I guess (my) speed and cadence all comes down to motivation. I was cold and wet and tired of looking at the stream of water coming off my helmet and wanted to go home and I booked along (and stayed in my big chain ring until I hit that nasty hill on the way home, then back to the big chain ring). We rode for a total of 1:37:57 and my average speed was 13.6mph (this is really good for me since the whole way out is uphill). When we got back to the cars, I looked down and discovered that my rear tire on the car was almost completely flat. So I loaded up my bike and headed to the tire place where they dug a nail out and patched it up. I am SO glad that I noticed that tire before it was completely flat and I had to call for a tow truck. That would have been the pits.

No comments: