Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving is over... and I am giving thanks! Things went well, but it just wasn't the same. Last year was our first year away from the family for Thanksgiving, but we were saved by an invitation to a friend's house. This year, it was all on me. It was kind of strange. Brigid came to dinner and we both agreed that it just didn't seem like Thanksgiving. The garbage disposal kept working all day (not that I put anything down it), there were no tense moments -- it all went very smoothly. I did take an extra prozac an hour before we sat down at the table... but that might have been why there were no tense moments. I totally forgot to put out the cranberry sauce and I also forgot to pull the chocolate mousse pie out of the freezer. I think we will have that tonight, if Brigid comes to dinner (since I made it for her, she has to be here to eat some).

The guys have been off from school, of course. Ron did a great thing and spent a couple of hours repairing all the flat tires, etc. on their bikes and so they have spent the last 3 solid days riding around the driveway and down the shoulder of our road. I am just not ready to let them ride on the street yet. They, of course, are dying to ride in the street. I have talked it over with Ron and I think we are going to get the older three guys new bikes for Christmas. I mentioned this plan to Dr. Cochran, our pediatrician, when I took Elias in for his physical. She says, "well, why don't I put you in touch with my sister [who has 3 boys, ages 13, 11, and 10], who is looking to get rid of their old bikes?" I said sure and the sister called me on Friday. She is insisting that I just take the bikes -- she won't take any money for them. I am picking them up tomorrow morning! The bikes are only a year old!! This is excellent!! WHooooohoooo!! As far as I am concerned, that pretty much takes care of Christmas for the guys.

Ron just got home from a ride with the DooDahs. He did not have a good ride today. He is kind of bummed out since, as he said, the testosterone was flowing today. He and another guy were leading the pack, going about 24 miles an hour and another guy in the pack decided that they were going TOO SLOWLY, so he accelerated to about 29 miles per hour and passed them (and stayed there). Also, a couple of times today, Ron got spit out the back of the peleton -- just couldn't keep up. (I said to him, Welcome to MY world!) Then, he fell twice. Once he unclipped one foot and fell the opposite way and the second time, he was turning around and hit some dirt and went down. He has road rash on both legs and both elbows -- very symmetrical. So he isn't feeling very happy -- no fun ride today!

No comments: