What a week! I have finally taken the plunge and gotten a coach for my cycling. Spencer, my spin instructor, has consented to coach me through the race on 1 October and El Tour de Tucson. Now that he has told me that he will help, I am getting concerned that he will kill me. He has sent me my cycling schedule for the next 4 weeks. Basically, I am to continue on with 3 spin classes a week, and then add in 3 road rides per week. Each road ride is supposed to be for a particular amount of time and at a particular heart rate. For example, today's ride was supposed to be 90 minutes with my heart rate between 70 and 80% of my max heart rate. No problem! I thought it went very well, but it sure does make a difference pulling the guys in the trailer. Once we dropped Elias off (getting rid of 55 pounds), it got much easier. Spencer is setting up a four week schedule with 3 weeks of hard, hard work, and then one week off. Spencer's idea of a week off means that I get to skip one spin class and one road ride. I am already sort of looking forward to that one week off!
Scott the Acupuncturist did a housecall this week since I couldn't get a babysitter. It was very strange to have my treatment in the house. I don't know that I will do that again since I just couldn't relax. I spent all morning racing around cleaning up and doing extra dusting since he had never seen my house before, so I was tired by the time he got here, and I still couldn't relax -- I just kept waiting for the phone to ring or James to wake up or something else to happen. We did work on my left shoulder which has been bothering me for months. I am hoping that with some work it will stop hurting -- this is getting kind of old.
Last night was Back to School night. I think it went well, but both Ron and I have some reservations about Andy's teacher. She is fairly young, but seems to be very focused on discipline. As a matter of fact, that is really all she spoke of to the parents. Also, she has given everyone a number that they have to put on all of their papers. She doesn't use their names very much, is my impression. I don't think that learning their names would be that difficult... there are only about 20 in the class. I know Andy will be fine, because he is a get along kind of guy, but I don't think she is a terribly warm person. She also mentioned that she will not accept sloppy or incorrect work. We are going to have to see how this works out.
Benjamin's teacher is terrific. I don't think she is burned out yet, in spite of this being her 26th year in our district (and she taught for several years other places). I don't think there is anything that Benjamin could do that would surprise her -- and I think she can handle Benjamin, if he decides that he wants to press the edge of the envelope.
The funny thing about both teachers is that they are both very short. I think Andy is almost as tall as his teacher and I was towering over Benjamin's teacher. They are also both a little on the round side, but while Benjamin's teacher looks nice and approachable, Andy's does not. We will see!
Football is going very well, I think. Andy seems to be getting it together and so does Benjamin, but Benjamin thinks that he should be getting it faster. He gets very frustrated sometimes and Ron has to stop him from walking off the field. They have a scrimmage against the Chargers Saturday morning at 8am (I will try to get some pictures). Did I tell you that the whole league is sponsored by the NFL? Yup, Ron got to go to a coaching clinic sponsored by the NFL. Also, all the teams get to use an NFL team name. What team are we, do you ask? The Cowboys. Yup, of all the teams in the NFL, we get to be the Cowboys. It is kind of strange coming from Redskins land. I will keep you up to date on what is happening!
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment