Thursday, July 13, 2006

Championships were worse than I had expected. It was broiling hot -- 105 degrees. Thank God a friend allowed me space under her canopy. If I had had to stay in the sun the whole day, I would have died. We got to the pool at 6:45am. We left at 1pm. There were 4 teams participating in the meet, with about 180 swimmers per team, plus parents, coaches, etc. There were tons of people and it was difficult to get around so many canopies. It was kind of like a tent city.

The guys did great!! Andy and Benjamin both got a first in their heat ribbon -- the excitement was overwhelming! Elias also did well; he did finish second in one of his races. Everyone behaved pretty well too -- lots of coloring, legos, and Uno. We go back to the pool tonight for the finals. The top seven swimmers in each event will compete tonight and then we will have freestyle relays and then (ALLELUIA) go home. I have decided that I am not going to take the guys to the team trip to the pizza place. I just cannot handle it. By then it will be after 8pm... Ron may do it, since he is much better with these things than I, but I will not be going.



While Andy was racing, James ran off toward the diving well -- the only area not blocked off with a barrier. I took off after him and ran my foot right into the steel barrier. I am pretty sure that I broke my second toe. It hurts when I walk and I am hoping that it is better by this weekend since I have a bike ride scheduled. I did see Scott the Acupuncturist yesterday and he gave me some herbs that will help with the healing (I hope).

No comments: