
Here is my race report for the Cure Autism triathlon in Bethesda, Maryland. First, the unhappy stuff, to set the scene, so to speak. The morning of the race was 37 degrees (and damp). It stayed that cold the entire time. I only had trishorts, the Cure Autism shirt, and my TriGirls t-shirt. The race was at a local YMCA that wouldn't allow any racers inside. There were only 6 portapotties for 438 triathletes and 200 duathletes and staff and spectators. The heated tents were only allowed to be used by the people waiting to go swim, and only for the 5 minutes before they were called. I don't know how well you remember Bethesda, Maryland, but I never noticed that there is not a single flat area in the whole place. The bike ride was a big square with one large downhill, one large uphill, and two moderate ups and downs on the other sides. The run was ALL hills. The final 200 yards or so of the run course had an incline of about 30 degrees.
The good stuff: I drew the inside pool which was heated to a toasty 88 degrees. When I got in, I thought I was going to die from the relief of my hands and feet defrosting. I think I did my swim in about 10 and a half minutes. I got out, was yelled at for jogging out of the pool area, and finally found my bike and started changing. My friend Joanne had come up with a long sleeve jersey for me to wear and I couldn't get it on because I was still so wet, and finally I gave up trying to pull it down. I put on my TriGirls shirt and pulled out my race belt, which promptly broke. My hands would barely work because I was so cold, but there was worse coming!
I borrowed a bike for this race because I didn't want to ship mine. Well. Joanne, who owns the bike, got it all tuned up for me and got slicks put on. I have never ridden on those things and (as some of you know very well) I don't feel very comfortable riding a road bike. I was so afraid I was almost paralyzed. It was a crash course in road bike riding. I headed out on the course and the first side of the square course was a huge hill about two lanes wide and about a 35 degree angle. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill I was going SO FAST that I felt like I was aiming the bike, rather than riding it. At the bottom of the hill, I had to turn right, merge into one small lane, and go past the four EMTs that were posted there in case there was a wipe-out and proceed up a 30 degree hill that was about a mile long.
The other two sides of the square weren't so dramatic, but were filled with potholes and people trying to park. On the course. By parallel parking between the racers.
I made it back to the transition area, finally found my stuff, and my hands were practically frozen in the shape of the handlebars. I put on my run shoes and headed out. I ran out and down the first hill and had to stop because I thought my ankles and shins were going to splinter into a thousand pieces. It was just like on March 12, when my adductors froze up, except lower down. It was horrendous. The whole run course was hills and I walked most of it -- until this wonderful woman came up behind me and insisted that I run the last quarter of a mile. So I did -- and made it through the finish line running. I am so grateful to that woman -- because of her, I made it to the finish and didn't disgrace myself in front of my entire family.I have no idea what my times were and I probably will never know since the computer recording the timing chips crapped out. It took until about 5pm that afternoon to feel truly warm again.
In spite of the cold and wet and hills, I had a great time --- racing with a friend is a spectacular experience. It was Joanne's first triathlon and she did great!! And she was at the finish line to greet me when I finally got there. All in all, it was a terrific experience. It was also overwhelming to cross the finish line and see my entire family there -- Ma, Dad, Nathan and his family, and Alley and his family. I almost cried when I saw them.

No comments:
Post a Comment