Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Last night, on the way to my TriGirls meeting, I discovered that the headlights in the white car were burned out. So, I guess that brings the car disasters to three: no headlights, need new tires on both cars, and the oil leak and timing belt needing to be replaced on the red car. I hope this is it for awhile. I can't take much more!

I emailed Andy's teacher today to ask her if he had any friends in the class and how things were going. When I was at the school grading spelling tests, I also had lunch in the cafeteria with Andy and Benjamin and I was a little disturbed to notice that a couple of girls asked Andy to play, but none of the boys even said hello to him. He said, when questioned, that he played with the girls at lunch most of the time. He sometimes plays four-square with the boys, but that is about it. Here is the email I got from Andy's teacher:
Andy is the type of kid that is friends with everyone. At the beginning of the year he spent a lot of time playing with Robin because they share a mutual interest in something like Pokemon. He also enjoyed bug collecting and that involved a small group of girls. However, since that time I have seen him play 4-square quite a bit and that is mostly with boys. He has also played tag with both boys and girls. He seems to have a good "boy" friend from another class. I don't know who he is, but I have seen Andy talking to him. However, he does not have a good friend in this class that is a boy. One reason I think he does not "hang" with the boys is because he shys away from the more athletic and aggressive sports such as soccer and football. In the past I have had kids who struggle with interacting on the playground. These children usually like to spend their recess visiting with me. Andy does not have that problem, and I don't see a need to worry. I don't mean to sound like an old teacher, but of all the kids I have had, I see Andy as having something a little extra special. He is a thinker, and he almost always wants to do his best. One of the other teachers here shares my thoughts. He may struggle, but he is willing to put forth the effort to do things well. I will keep my eye on this and let you know if there are any changes or concerns.

So, I guess things are ok, but I had the issue brought to my attention because both Elias and Benjamin have been invited over to other kids' houses and stuff like that, and Andy never has. I guess there is nothing I can do about this except to watch and see what develops.

No comments: