Sunday, March 11, 2007

I haven't written in a whole week since things have been kind of hectic around here. Andy has been dealing with the bully situation, and he and the snot were called to the principal's office to discuss the situation. I hope this will solve the problem, but if it doesn't, at least everyone is aware that it's happening.

My friend Joanne flew in from Maryland to do today's triathlon with me. I have been sick for the past three days getting anxious about this race. I thought maybe this time I wouldn't get upset about the whole thing since I had done it before -- wrong again! Last night, I couldn't sleep much and when I did sleep, I had weird dreams.

We got on the road at 5am and got down there, got a spot on the bike racks and admired the really, really expensive bikes that were being racked up on the two Elite racks. I was in heat 2 for the swim and we started about 7am. I felt strange during the swimming; it felt as if I were going really slowly. I finished the 825yds and managed to get out of the pool on my own -- a first during a race for me. Also in my heat was Michellie Jones, who pretty much wiped the floor with all of us (she was part of a relay team) without breaking a sweat. This woman is the current world champion Ironman. She was amazing.

I ran out to the transition and got out on my bike. I think I had a good transition, but I don't know since I totally forgot to look at my watch the entire race. After the cycling section, I pulled into transition and shifted into running mode. I actually ran out of transition, but had to stop running pretty quickly since I thought my shins and ankles were going to explode into a million pieces. After about a mile of walking/hobbling/sort of running, it was as if something kicked in and my shins and ankles stopped hurting and felt better. About this time, another TriGirl who wasn't racing, rode up on her bike and talked to me for about a half mile and really kept me going. I did manage to run almost the whole last two miles. It wasn't pleasant, and my left hip was killing me, but I did it. I even managed to pick up the pace and lift my knees up more and run hard when I came around the corner and heard the announcer say my name.

It turns out that Ron and the guys were waiting for me at the finish line along with Brigid and Joanne. This is a first -- the guys have never seen me race before at all. While they were waiting for me to finish up the run course, Elias was interviewed by the race announcer and had told him that I hadn't been training hard for this race. So, except for Elias ruining my reputation as a stellar and devoted athlete, it was a great day.

No comments: