Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I met a fascinating woman yesterday! I had noticed a new store called Flavorbank had opened up close by and I have been meaning to stop by and check it out. The store sells spices, salts, and peppers. Brigid, James and I went yesterday and it is run by a woman who not only has a Julia Child autographed wooden spoon in her shop, but has won a James Beard Award! She was very easy to talk with and was a well of information on spices and on where to eat in Tucson. We sat down and she wrote out a 3 page list of places to go -- it was FANTASTIC! After all that talking, we went to the first place on the list, a vietnamese place right across the parking lot. James had grilled chicken with rice vermicelli, Brigid had the beef satay, and I had the most glorious shrimp dish ever -- salt and pepper spicy shrimp. Oh My God. It was so good I ate the shrimp shells right along with the shrimp because they tasted so good. It was absolutely the best meal I have had since moving to Tucson. I am now going to have to work my way through the list!

Ron's birthday cake is in the oven right now. It is triple chocolate and I have triple chocolate frosting ready to go once it has cooled. I also bought one ribeye steak for him -- the rest of us are having chicken since ribeye steaks are $16 per pound. I have been trying to decide how to cook the thing since I sure don't want to ruin it. I think I am going to sear it on top of the stove (after covering it in salt and pepper), then finishing it in the oven. I may even make a quick red wine pan sauce to go with it. I am also making mashed potatoes with garlic, and I think I will do asparagus and a salad. How does that sound?

I tried out a new hairdresser today. I don't know if this is going to work out. She is of the "more product in the hair the better" school of hairdressing. Right now, my hair is pouffed up all over the place; there is mousse in there and this sticky wax stuff to "add texture." I don't think she cut it short enough in the front either. This is an issue because my swim teacher has told me that he wants me to wear a swim cap. I loathe those things. I will do a lot to not wear one. It may be easier to convince him that I don't need it if my hair is cut short. My ego just cannot stand the thought of anyone looking at me when I have that hideous thing over my hair. I will do it if I am required to (like in a race), but otherwise, forget it.

Here is a picture of my new haircut. I just don't know about all that stuff in my hair making everything stand up. It just isn't really me. We won't even talk about the amazing amount of grey this haircut has exposed.


No comments: