Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Beginning

Welcome to the Southwest Howe Family Blog. I will be using this to keep my family and friends updated on what is going on with us now that we have moved to Tucson. I hope you all enjoy it!


As many of you know, I am training for a triathlon that will be on March 12. I went to my second swim team practice tonight. Tonight was not as difficult as Monday night (the first time I had gone lap swimming in about 8 years) because the pool had been converted from a 50 meter course to a 25 meter course. It was much easier and, as an added bonus, my lane had the ladder in it so when I was done I could get out of the pool. This was a problem on Monday evening because when I finished, I couldn't pull myself out of the pool. My arms just wouldn't do it. So, I flipped over on my back and flutter kicked my way down the pool. Halfway there, the coach came by and asked if I needed the ladder. I said yes, and he told me that he would be happy to bring the ladder to me. That was totally out of the question. I was not going to have my new coach, a fairly young and handsome guy, bring me the portable ladder so I could get out of the pool. That just wasn't happening. I insisted that I could make it down to the far end of the pool and that I would make it out by myself. Here is a web picture of the pool, so you know just how far I had to go --
http://homepage.mac.com/jimstites/FordAquatics/index.html

It was a long, long way. So, after I had gotten out of the pool, I had to walk down to get my stuff at the other end. By the time I made it into the car, I could only put my hands on the bottom of the steering wheel since my arms were too sore to put on the top of the steering wheel. Thank God I had yoga first thing Tuesday morning. It really helped get the kinks out.

I am feeling more confident about the triathlon now that I have started swimming again. I sent in my registration this morning and I hope I will be ready by March 12!

Talk to you tomorrow ---

L

No comments: