Saturday, September 06, 2008

I cannot believe this -- I fell AGAIN! Obviously, I have to give my bike a rest. I also might have to make a sacrifice to the cycling gods. I don't know why I am having this run of bad luck, but this is the pits! This time, my front wheel slipped into the groove between the street and the curb and got stuck. I landed on the opposite side this time, so now both shoulders and hips are complaining. This is the pits.

Andy went to his first scout meeting of the year. Everything went smoothly. E. never said a nasty word to Andy, and Ron was the only other parent in attendance. Of course, either Ron or I will be at every single meeting to make sure that this stays the same.

Andy just got his first reading assessment back and did very well. He is reading at almost a 7th grade level! I was very surprised about this because listening to him read out loud is painful. I requested the testing that I wrote about last week, and the school psychologist called me within 24 hours and the testing is going forward. Andy is going to be tested for learning disabilities in all the writing and reading areas. Because of his reading assessment test, I am feeling a little bit better about his reading comprehension, but I am still concerned about his writing skills. I will be interested to see how this all goes. The testing should happen the first week of October (there are a couple of kids who are in front of Andy).

Remember how for the last 3 years, I have been in constant contact with Benjamin's teacher during the first 6 weeks of the school year? Since moving here, Benjamin's teacher has sent me notes and has called me fairly frequently in the first six weeks of the school year and then I usually don't hear from that teacher again. This is because Benjamin likes to test the boundaries and have them clearly spelled out and once they are, he can relax and just do what he is expected to do. Here is the strange thing -- I haven't talked to his teacher yet this year, except to introduce myself. Isn't that bizarre? Not that I am not thrilled about this development -- this is great!! But it is strange, and I find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Elias and James are doing great things these days -- they are happy in school and with what they are doing, and they are both thrilled that soccer is beginning next week. James also starts his swimming lessons at the YMCA next week -- he is going to be one tired guy. He is a Pike. The lessons are Mondays and Wednesdays, along with soccer practice right afterwards. He is now old enough to go to CCD too, so Tuesdays are also booked, starting this week. Yup, James is going to be completely wiped out!

No comments: