Thanksgiving was a fun day. Brigid was kind enough to come over early on Thursday to take care of the guys so Ron and I could go to a 90 minute spin class. We figured that this would be a great way to start the day, and it was. It was a tough class with a 35 minute long hill in the beginning -- Ron wasn't happy about this. I have been doing spin long enough now that a 35 minute hill doesn't bother me all that much. Brigid and the guys hung out at home watching the Macy's Parade.
Once the torture was over, we headed home so that Ron could "tend the fire," as he said (in a thick Baltimore accent). A few days before Thanksgiving, Ron said that he wanted to try out the smoker and smoke the turkey. I was certainly ok with that since it meant that there would be no turkey in my kitchen. Ron got up on Thursday at 5:30am to get the smoker going. He told me that it would take about an hour per pound of turkey. Well, I had bought a 15 pounder, and I thought that if it were going to take that long, 6am was a little late to start. However, Ron ended up taking the bird out of the smoker around 2pm. It was definitely done.
In spite of the turkey's alarming appearance, it was pretty good. The dark meat was good -- moist and smoky. The white meat was dry... spelled G-O-B-I D-E-S-E-R-T. Redford is going to be getting a treat today. I did try something new yesterday -- I made pumpkin pies. I haven't ever attempted this before, mostly because I am not a big fan of pumpkin. However, the guys LOVE pumpkin pie, and I felt like I had to introduce them to a REAL pie, not a supermarket pie. It was absolutely delicious!!! A huge success! I tried a new crust recipe as well, and it turned out great too. This does mean, however, that the pie will never come out as well again...

No comments:
Post a Comment