Thursday, September 07, 2006

It seems like it has been a long time since I have posted! Marsha (my oldest friend) arrived for a visit on 2 Sept., and left this morning. We had a great time, but didn't do much. We relaxed and talked and watched movies and anime (Marsha is an anime junkie). I have to say, it was pretty interesting stuff and I have added a few things to my Netflix list so that I can finish the stories. It was wonderful having a friend here -- and, of course, awful when she leaves. It just makes me sad.

The guys thought Ms. Ford was wonderful (so did I, especially when she helped Andy with his math homework). They have been having a good week overall. I haven't gotten any more calls from Benjamin's teacher and I got Andy's reading level assessment tests back. All the kids at school do these tests at the beginning of the year to see what (if anything) they have retained over the summer. Andy is about in the middle of the group. He does seem to be getting more comfortable with reading and is reading to his brothers sometimes.

I have been having a good week overall. I made it through my birthday -- Thank God that is over. This year, two out of three of my brothers called me to wish me a happy birthday. This is an improvement over last year, when only one called. Ron and the guys gave me a gift certificate for 4 one hour massages. I am calling today to book one soon, and then another the day after my big race on 1 October. Because I have been following through with Spencer's training suggestions and have been riding my bike or spinning 6 days a week, there is a constant low-level soreness in my hamstrings these days; it is nothing that would slow me down, but I do notice it a little.

I have noticed a some improvement in my hill climbing. On Saturday last week, I went up Freeman Road. Freeman is a horrendous hill; you just keep going up and up and up. Also, sometimes, instead of a gradual uphill, there is a big uphill and when you finally make it to the top, you find out that it has reverted to a gradual uphill, rather than a downhill. I have gone up this road about 5 times now, but when I did it this past week, I didn't feel as if I were going to die at the top (this is a first). My heart rate didn't go above 75% either! This is another indicator that I am improving! All in all, a very reassuring ride.

This weekend, I am going to drive up to the site of my next race and check out the bike route. Several of the TriGirls are going and it will be nice to have a long ride with a group of them. The guys have their first official football game this weekend. I will try to remember to ask Ron to bring the camera to get lots of pictures.

No comments: