Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Elias went back to school yesterday -- and it was a GREAT day! He is absolutely thrilled to be back in school and he is very happy to have last year's teachers back. I am also thrilled that he is back in school. Here is a picture of Elias taken yesterday morning right before we left for school. He is especially proud of his new school bag. He has been wearing it quite a bit.


Last year, he would go to school every day until 12:30; the school session officially ended at 11:30am, but for an additional $20 a month, he could stay through lunchtime. Did I take advantage of that? You bet I did. He stayed every day. This year, I find out that the new policy is that everyone has to pay $5 per day that the kid stays until 12:30. I was bummed. So, instead of paying for Elias to stay for lunch every day, I decided to have him go two days a week, all day. It was cheaper this way, and I get more time. So, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Elias will get out of school at 11:30 and then, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, he will stay until 2:45pm. WHOOOHOOOO! I cannot believe that on those days it will be me and James, all by ourselves. Wow... now if only James gets potty-trained...


I am doing alright, but I am feeling slightly disconnected and restless today. Maybe it is because 3 of the guys are at school, but I feel like I am at loose ends. I biked and swam yesterday, and I usually go to yoga on Tuesday mornings, but the new gym doesn't offer the class at this time. So here I am, sitting at home, blogging, but really not doing a whole lot. I went out and bought the guys new socks. That is the sum achievement for today so far. I suppose I should be cleaning the floors or something, but I just don't feel motivated.

I am beginning to get a little tense about my race on October 1. I know I can do the lake swim (1.2 miles) now that I seem to be over my open water swimming panic, but can I get through the 56 miles of biking? I went to my TriGirls meeting last night and met a woman who lives on the bike course of this race. She did say that there was a BIG hill. I think maybe the race-day adrenaline will help, but I can't stake all my hopes on it. I have to get out on the road more. I really love going out on my bike. I can go fast and it as if I am 10 years old again. This past weekend, I went out for a ride that turned out to be about 27 miles. I wanted to go farther, but the lightening and rain put a damper on things. So, at this point, the farthest I have gone on my bike is only 42 miles or so. I have got to get going!

We are still having lots of rain in Tucson and it is muggy these days. I guess I have already lost my ability to deal with the moisture in the air because not only do I feel oppressed by it, but my joints are aching just like when we were in Maryland. All that humidity is having an effect -- and I am not happy about it. I think there will be another 3 weeks or so of monsoons and then the moisture in the air (and the thousands of bugs that accompany it) will be gone.

No comments: