
Tonight I did something that I have thought about doing since I started swimming at the U. of A.: I jumped off the 10 meter platform into the diving well. You can see the platforms in the rear of this picture of the Hillenbrand pool, where I have been swimming since January. It was Very High Up. I stood on the edge of the platform for several minutes trying to nerve myself up to jump. In case you are wondering, the diving well was 16 feet or so deep, and the 10 meters is equal to 32.8 feet. This is more than enough time to consider what you are doing as you fall. As I was standing up there, considering whether or not to do it, I hear "jump jump jump" and I turn around. You can see forever from 32 feet above the ground. Coming up the sidewalk is a group of about 30 guys all dressed up for something and they decided to urge me on. Finally, they did a countdown and I jumped off when they got to 1.
You know, 32.8 feet is a long way and it takes a long time to go through that section of space. I had lots of time to think on the way down. Then I hit the water. My feet were pointed, so I didn't hurt my feet, but my main point of impact was my rear end. I don't think it is going to recover quickly. There is a little bit of bruising back there... I was in a little bit of pain as I swam over to the ladder. Brigid has been swimming with me, and she was cheering me on the whole time (and was ready to jump in if I had managed to hurt myself -- the swim coach was also on hand, just in case). Brigid did say that I looked like a bug on a windshield while falling (for those of you who do yoga, think Half Moon Pose). I am very glad I did it, but I don't think I am going to do it again. Once is enough for me (and my appreciation for professional divers has increased 1000 times).
The guys are doing terrific things in the pool. Last night, Benjamin got a first place in freestyle and then a second place in backstroke. Andy got several sixth place ribbons and Elias got a second in freestyle and a couple of sixth place ribbons. Everyone was happy -- the guys were thrilled to compete, the coaches were thrilled with their performance, and I was happy when the meet was over!

1 comment:
You are insane! You've gotten me to do these horrible triathlons but there is NO WAY I'm going to jump off of anything like this.
Post a Comment