Sunday, January 15, 2006

Here is a picture of the guys in front of the whale skeleton in Mexico. You can tell how much they love getting their picture taken!

Yesterday was a big party day for the guys. Elias had a 4 year old birthday party to attend that was at the Tucson Children's Museum, and Andy was invited to a 7 year old's birthday party in a local park. As I said, the mother was kind enough to invite Benjamin to come too. I headed off to yoga yesterday morning with Andy and Benjamin in tow and then went right from yoga (after changing clothes) to the party. But first, I had to get lost getting there. I drove and drove and drove -- past cattle guards, massive saguaros, and the all-solar neighborhood (the one I really wanted to live in until I went to see it and it was surrounded by miles and miles of nothing). I finally found my way to the park and we arrived 40 minutes late. As you all know, I hate being late. It is especially bad to be late to a kid's birthday party. But not to this one. This one was scheduled for 11am to 2pm. There was an inflatable 18 foot slide and a huge inflatable obstacle course. Everyone was playing and having a great time. Because the birthday boy is slightly autistic, everything was very structured --- this is MY kind of birthday party!

This mom had everything planned out. The kids played tug-of-war, bean the dad with the water balloons (extremely successful), fishing for sea monsters, and duck, duck, goose. All of these were hugely successful with the kids and all of the kids got a prize for every game. I would never do this stuff. The prizes were really great too -- a parachute man (I know everyone remembers that guy), matchbox cars, tootsie pops, and the apex of party prizes: the whoopie cushion. This kept all the kids at the party very busy for a long time. In addition to prizes everywhere and organized games, there was pizza, cake, water and juice boxes.

The parents that attended all huddled in the shade cast by the obstacle course. It was an interesting group. There was a woman who rushed around making sure that her snotty kid had the prize that he wanted, not the one he got. She sure was dancing as fast as she could. Then there was the woman who had 8 children. Her oldest was expecting his first child and her youngest was 3 -- and she was still breastfeeding. The gap between her 7th child and her 8th child was 10 years. #8 was not a planned baby. Then there was a woman whose child was diagnosed with XXX syndrome. Apparently, this kid was different from the average XXX female and was ill while an infant and toddler. The mom ascribed the illness to the syndrome and eventually decided to home school. All of the parents at the party home schooled their children. Except me. All of these issues were discussed at the party, without my asking the questions. It was a strange group.

The mom of the birthday boy has enrolled him in CCD at our church and invited all 20 kids in the class to the party. Only one other person, besides me, RSVPd to the invitation. No one from the class except Andy came to the party. This is a major reason I will not have big parties for my children. I couldn't handle it if no one came. And no one would come -- it just isn't important to them. Andy would be crushed and I would be angry and I wouldn't be able to ever deal with those parents again. I would be compelled to be extremely rude to them for disappointing my kid.

The guys are all off tomorrow so we will all go to the gym for the entire 2 and a half hours of babysitting time. Then I think I will take them to a local cave for a tour. Maybe. If I can handle the thought of going that far underground. Ron does not have the day off. Lucky duck.

No comments: